Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Beginner Running Tips



During my trials of running towards a 5k I have received a lot of great advice from avid runner's. I have also experienced a lot of mistakes and, Ah Ha! moments during this journey. So for all you beginning runners or those who want to start running I gave you my master list.

*Run early in the morning or later in evening to avoid afternoon heat.
*Mix up your training. Make sure your training plan is not too heavily focused on one thing. You should always include: endurance, cross training, speed, and, rest.
*Don't feel embarrassed if you need to walk. If you get tired slow down.
*Try shoes on in the afternoon when your feet are bigger.
*Buy yourself some running shoes. Most running stores will fit you for the right type of shoe for your feet.
*Soreness one to two days after a run is normal.
*If you go slow the first half of a race, you can finish stronger.
*Ice sore muscles immediately after a run. If you can stand a colder bath I recommend that.
*Cut your toenails so they don’t jam into your shoes.
*Invest in good running socks. Cotton socks will give you blisters.
*Wear spandex shorts under your running shorts so you don’t chafe.
*Purchase a good sports bra. You'll thank me later!
*Volunteer at a local race. This is where you can learn what goes on during a race as well as meet other runners for advice.
*Try running with out music so that you can listen to your feet to hear your pace and your gait.
*The less you weigh the easier running is!
*Use Vaseline or BodyGlide wherever things rub. This will help prevent blisters and chafing.

I hope this helps you out with your running as it did me!!


*Please note I myself am in the beginning stages of running again after taking a 10 yr hiatus!

Related Posts with Thumbnails