Sunday, September 30, 2012

How does one train for a Zombie Run?!?

Once I finally decided to run this Zombie Mud Run, I thought to myself..am I ready? How would I train for a Zombie Run? After asking on Twitter I got some interesting tweets. Some were super helpfully telling me I need to practice walking in water, practice landing my jumps, walking up ropes, working on my upper body strength. Others were more humorous in their comments telling me to run in groups and not be the slowest, and, forget practicing and buy a machete.

I already go to the gym 5 days a week. I think I'm pretty up on my fitness. I'm not the strongest but, I think I'll be able to manage. As far as my endurance...well, I did just run a half a couple weeks ago. I think I'm good on that too. 

Along my journey of finding the best way to train, I found some amazing tools that one might find useful. 


* 1st is my ultimate favorite. I loved the idea and the reviews so much I purchased it for myself. Look for a review soon. It's a fitness/game app available on both Iphone and Android markets called Zombies, Run! If you have the Nike + app it's similar to that. It's a voice over program that makes it feel like you're in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse. You pick up supplies and weapons along the way but when you hear the Zombies are near you have to sprint to get away. Make sure you don't lose you supplies or get caught and turn into a Zombie. For those who lose interest in running this is a fun way to keep you running. You want to get out there a continue the game. Each run gets your closer to the final. The price for the app is a little pricey. ($7.99) However, I think it's a great price if it gets you running more. I am always running with the same music by mile 4 I'm bored, and don't want to run anymore. Which is why I like to run in groups. I am hoping this will help motivate me to run more solo runs!



* Another find was Zombie Fit! Zombie Fit is a website that lists WODs (Work out of the day's) that get you in tip top Zombie apocalypse shape! They also dabble in a bit of Parkour. For those who don't know what that is, it's a form of getting over obstacles. Running, jumping, climbing, vaulting etc. Zombie Fit even has classes. Unfortunately, non are around me! They sound fun. I think I'd try it out!

Even if you aren't able to do any of these or aren't even in the best shape, I think you'll be fine at this event. It should be lots of fun. I will be doing it for the experience and fun not for time!



Related Posts with Thumbnails