Sunday, March 18, 2012

Am I a runner?!?

The question "Am I a runner?" has popped up in my head a lot in the past year. I have questioned myself quiet a bit about if I have what it takes to be a real runner.



(Not the best picture but, I'm in purple.)

Last week I ran a local 5k an honor of domestic abuse. I ran with a pretty big group of women, whom I love and adore. They are some of the most inspirational women I've ever met. A friend from the group signed up to run this race as her first. She asked me to run along side her, and for me to help her through it. Who'd have thought I'd be helping someone with running. Just last year I was the one asking for help. Not only did I help her along, I ended up pushing myself further and faster than I ever had during a 5k. I was beyond ecstatic.


(Wearing my St. Patrick's Day lucky shirt! I think it paid off. )

This weekend, I signed up for another 5k race. This time I was running it solo. I thought for sure I'd never beat that last time but, I was going to try my hardest. That I did. This course was so much more hillier than any I've done in the past. It was one of my most mental races to date. I wanted to give up numerous times. Somehow, I kept pushing on. At the end I saw the clock. It was a minute faster than my 5k time just this past week. I dug deep and finished strong. Giving myself a new PR once again!!!!

Who is this girl? I didn't think I had it in me. All this training has paid of big time.

Today was the icing on the cake for me. I had an 8 mile run on my schedule that deep down I was dreading. I had just tried to run it the weekend before but failed due to getting lost on the course. The ladies I run with on my long Sunday run's are much faster than I and, I usually fall behind by a mile. Last week I kind of gave up on myself once I got lost and went home after only 4 miles. I was afraid this was going to happen again. I prepped myself for failure. I set out with the ladies this morning, and they set off faster than I did like usual. Once they were out of sight I started attacking myself. Getting frustrated that I couldn't keep up. I ended up getting lost again a couple places. I followed my directions and got back on course. I wanted to give up so many times. I wanted to take the short cuts. Guess what? I didn't. I finished my 8 mile run!!! What makes it so much better is the fact the two ladies said to me..." I admire your heart and determination to keep going". They both said that if they knew they were getting up in the morning to run alone they wouldn't get up and go.

I am a RUNNER!!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails